BLT Pasta with Blue Cheese-Buttermilk Dressing
If you love BLT sandwiches, then you'll really love this pasta version. To make this truly unique, we created a blue cheese-buttermilk dressing that you can modify to your tastes depending on the type of blue cheese you pick — fruity, creamy, spicy, or salty.
- 1/3 Pound penne rigate
- 4 Ounces blue cheese, crumbled, at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 Cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 Cup diced plum tomato
- 1/2 Cup sliced radishes
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella, halved
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water, and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
Place the blue cheese, sour cream, buttermilk, and vinegar in a bowl. Use a fork to break up the blue cheese and combine the ingredients to make the dressing. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Place the penne, romaine lettuce, tomato, radishes, and bacon in a large bowl. Stir in the dressing. Top each serving with a half slice of mozzarella.