- 1 1/2 cups Texas pecans
- 11 ounces vanilla wafer cookies
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa, divided
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup high-quality bourbon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon edible gold dusting powder
- 1 teaspoon high-quality vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toast pecans on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, rotating regularly. Bake until golden brown and let cool.
In a food processor, pulse wafers into crumbs and then add cherries. Pulse lightly, and then add toasted pecans. Pulse mixture 3 more times.
In a large bowl, mix together the crumb-pecan mixture. Add 1 cup of cocoa, 1 cup of the confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract. Incorporate completely and add the corn syrup.
Stir in bourbon and orange juice. Mix thoroughly.
Sift remaining 1/2 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar onto a large plate or flat surface.
Form the crumb mixture into 3/4-inch balls and roll them through the cocoa-sugar mixture, coating completely. Sprinkle with gold dusting powder if desired.