- 2 Pounds ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups beer (12 ounce can)
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons cornmeal or masa harina
- 8 bags (1 to 2 ounces each) Fritos corn chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat large Dutch oven over high heat until hot.
Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and ground beef.
Cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan and stewing the beef in its own juices.
Remove beef; set aside.
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over high heat.
Add onion; cook until evenly browned.
Add cooked ground beef, chili powder, cumin, garlic and cayenne powder.
Season with salt, as desired.
Stir until combined.
Stir in beer, tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, cook 1 hour until chili thickens.
Stir in cornmeal.
If chili becomes too thick, add a little water.
If chili is not thick enough, simmer until desired consistency is reached.
Slice or fold open bags; spoon beef chili on top of Fritos corn chips.
Top each bag with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
Allow to melt slightly, then serve and enjoy.