Whether you plan to savor the summer with a beachside barbecue or fire up your own grill for a backyard cookout, Labor Day is the perfect excuse to gather with friends and make the most of outdoor entertaining in summer’s final days. To spice up the holiday weekend’s favorite BBQ fare, SIMI winery partnered with Kevin West to create a one-of-a-kind barbecue sauce infused with SIMI favorite, Sonoma County Pinot Noir.
This SIMI pinot-noir barbecue sauce will take your grilled offerings from mundane to gourmet in a matter of minutes. Infused with SIMI Winery’s classic Sonoma County Pinot Noir, this refined California-style barbeque sauce pays tribute to Sonoma County winemaking while providing a unique twist on America’s traditional sauce— the perfect grilling staple to send off the summer!
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 28 Ounces can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 Cups SIMI Sonoma County Pinot Noir
- 1/4 Cup canned chipotle chiles, pureed with their liquids (or more to taste)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
Using a deep pot large enough to hold all the ingredients, sauté the onion and garlic cloves in the butter and oil over low heat until partially caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the wine, and the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, partially covered. Stir occasionally.
Carefully purée the hot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Simmer 30 minutes longer, or until thickened to your liking. Bottle the sauce or ladle into airtight containers. It will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.