- 4 mini pumpkins, about 1 pound each
- 4 Ounces sweet or hot bulk sausage
- 5 eggs
- 4 pieces stale bread, cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 Tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 Teaspoons crème fraîche
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the top quarter off each pumpkin. Use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds and string bits.
Place the sausage in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Drain off any excess fat.
Whisk 1 of the eggs. Put it in a large bowl with sausage, bread cubes, sage, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Fill each pumpkin with the stuffing mixture until it is 1-inch from the top of the pumpkin. Put all the pumpkins on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes until the pumpkins have softened. Remove from the oven and crack 1 egg into each pumpkin, on top of the stuffing. Cover the pumpkins with aluminum foil.
Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Return the pumpkins to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.
Serve hot with a teaspoon of crème fraîche on top.