- 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 Cups bread flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope yeast, such as Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil, such as Spice Islands Sweet Basil
- 3/4 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Cup plus 2 tablespoons very warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
- 1/3 Cup crumbled, cooked bacon
- 1/3 Cup drained, chopped, sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter or margarine (optional)
- 1 Pound sliced bacon, cooked crisp and drained on absorbent toweling
- Chilled lettuce leaves
- Fresh tomato slicing
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, un-dissolved yeast, basil, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the water and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic and mix to combine. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Knead the on a lightly floured surface for 6 to 8 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Form the dough into a smooth loaf and place in the pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 30 to 40 minutes, or until dough is doubled in bulk.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Bake the loaf for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. Brush the top with melted butter, if desired. Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on cooling rack.
Spread the sliced bread with mayonnaise or sandwich spread. Layer bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes as desired. Note: 1 pound of bacon is enough for 4 to 5 sandwiches.