Fjord shrimp are traditionally used for this recipe. Harvested from Norwegian waterways, the tiny shrimp are hand-peeled before they're arranged on the bread. Bay shrimp or small baby shrimp are a good (and already peeled) substitution.
For the full story behind this dish click here.
- 2 slices pullman loaf white bread , 1/2-inch thick
- Lightly salted European-style butter
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 6 Ounces bay or small baby shrimp, cooked
- 4 Tablespoons crème fraîche or Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tomato wedge quarters
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dill sprigs
- Lemon wedges
- Red pepper strips for garnish (Optional)
Spread each bread slice with butter. Cover with a lettuce leaf. Arrange shrimp on lettuce. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or yogurt over shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with dill sprigs and serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with red pepper strips if you wish.