After working outside in 85-plus degree weather all day, and coming into this awesome and healthy meal, you'll be in heaven. This meal is slightly spicy, citrusy, delicious, and refreshing! Best of all, it's not too bad for you!
I threw this dinner together while my 2-year-old ate her lunch and stuck it on high. It looks so pretty in the slow cooker (I know, I'm weird!). It was ready five hours later! This is definitely something I would make over and over again and even for company.
One small warning — they are very juicy and you will need plenty of napkins as you're eating them. My husband ate his on tortillas instead of lettuce and it was less of a mess. You can stick to the healthy version with the lettuce, or use the tortilla like he did!
Onto the good stuff...
See all wrap recipes.
- 3 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 seedless cucumber, skinned and chopped roughly
- 1/2 red onion, chopped roughly
- 2 jalapeños
- 1/4 Cup low-sugar apricot preserves
- Juice of 1 orange
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Teaspoon red chile pepper flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves or other leafy green vegetable
- Pineapple-mango salsa or other salsa, for serving*
- 1 -2 limes, cut into wedges
Place the frozen chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the cucumber, onion, and jalapeño peppers. Mix together the apricot preserves, orange juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Pour over the chicken. Add the garlic powder, ginger, red chile pepper flakes, salt, and pepper over everything.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Serve on lettuce leaves with salsa drizzled over the top and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.