- 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter substitute, such as Brummel & Brown spread
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 Cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon yellow mustard seed
- Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 Pounds finely shredded sauerkraut
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt the spread in a small skillet. Add the onion and apples and sauté until the onion is translucent.
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard seed, and sugar in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker until the sugar dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to evenly distribute. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Serve hot.