Apple-Cream Cheese Soufflé Recipe
What a whimsical way to bake a soufflé! These little cream cheese delights are placed in the center of a cored apple and baked until they puff out the top. Enjoy!
- 4 apples, cored and peeled
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of ½ lemon, grated
- 1 tablespoon pastry cream powder or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons cranberry sauce, for serving
- 4 tablespoons crème fraîche, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Score the outside of the apples, creating a grid pattern. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, egg yolk, sour cream, salt, vanilla, zest, and pastry cream powder. In another bowl, whip the egg whites using an electric mixer on medium speed and gradually add the sugar until it creates stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Fold into the base.
Fill the apples with the soufflé mixture. Bake until the apples are tender and the soufflé has risen, about 20-25 minutes. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve each apple warm with 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce and 1 tablespoon crème fraîche.