- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 Pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced and stored in water with 1/8 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon minced garlic
- Two 14-ounce bags cornbread stuffing
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Cup apple juice
- Salt, to taste (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the chicken broth in small saucepan to poaching temperature (not simmering). Keep warm. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brown the crumbled sausage. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel, reserving the fat from the pan.
Add the onion and sauté in the sausage drippings over medium-high heat until soft. Add the apples and walnuts and sauté until the apples soften. Once the apples have softened, add the butter and return the drained sausage to the pan. Reduce the heat to low and stir until the butter has completely melted.
Add the garlic and stir. Remove from the heat and set aside. Place the dry cornbread stuffing in a large mixing bowl. Pour the sausage mixture over the stuffing and fold in completely.
Add the apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and warm broth to the bowl. Fold the mixture until the stuffing has completely moistened. Taste and add salt, if desired. Place the stuffing in a casserole dish and bake, covered, for 1 hour. Remove the cover and bake 10 more minutes to brown the stuffing.