- 3 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Active Yeast
- 1 2/3 Cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 1/2 Cups shredded Imeruli cheese - or substituted with Muenster cheese, Provolone or Mozzarella Cheese (or combination of the 3, and 1 cup of crumbled feta)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Water
1. Combine milk and 2 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan and warm over medium heat. The mixture should become hot to the touch but should not be boiling.
2. Add the yeast and sugar and allow to sit for about 10 minutes (the yeast should begin to react and become frothy).
3. Add the flour and salt to bowl. Add the milk mixture and combine with your hands. Once the dough is formed, adjust with a little more water or flour until the mixture is elastic and the dough bounces back after being pressed with your finger.
4. Pour 1 Tablespoon of oil on your hands and continue to kneed for about 5 minutes.
5. Place the dough in a greased and covered bowl and allow to sit for about 45 minutes (until the dough has doubled in size).
6. In the mean time, combine the cheeses together in a bowl and set aside.
7. When the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and kneed on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
8. Cut the dough into 2 equal parts.
9. Roll the dough into an oval shape.
10. Place 1/2 of the cheese in the center of each loaf, leaving about 1/2 inch around the outside.
11. Pinch the ends together and fold the outside of the bread over, leaving the center exposed.
12. Twist each end once (see pictorial instructions and a video at the end of this recipe).
13. Whisk together the water and 1 egg, forming an egg wash. Brush the egg wash onto the dough around the edge of the loaf.
14. Repeat for the second loaf.
15. Place the bread on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
16. When the cheese starts to begin to brown, crack and egg into the center of each loaf and bake for another 5 - 6 minutes. The white should be almost set and the yolk should be runny.
17. Remove from the oven and top each loaf with 1 tablespoon of butter.
18. Serve warm.
19. To eat, mix the egg yolk into the cheese mixture, being sure to scoop some of the cheese from under the crust.
20. Rip the bread in chunks and dip inside the cheese mixture. Enjoy!