I never tire of the combination of coconut, chocolate, and almond. I wanted to create a cookie that showcases each, yet is more about flavor and substance than its candy cousin. Acquainted offers bites of familiar flavor with an adult interpretation — moist inside, with an outer crunch; chewy and a little sweet.
- 3/4 Cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 Cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and almond extracts. Beat until well blended.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt and add to butter mixture. Beat until just incorporated. Stir in the almonds, coconut, and chocolate chips.
Scoop or drop by 1 rounded teaspoon portions and roll into oval shape in hands. Place each 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined or nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let sit for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.