Ranch-Style Beans Recipe
Serve these creamy, slowly-cooked beans with chicken sliders and cornbread.
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- One 15-ounce can whole tomatoes (or 2 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 cup ancho chile powder
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups beef broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Soak the beans covered in water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice overnight (about 8-12 hours).
Drain the soaked beans.
In a skillet, heat up a teaspoon of canola oil and cook the onions for 10 minutes on medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Throw the cooked onions and garlic in a blender and add the tomatoes, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, oregano, ancho chile powder, and water. Purée until smooth.
Add the pinto beans and beef broth to slow cooker and stir in the chile purée. Cook on low for about 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.