Adapted from "Best Loved Recipes Cookbook" by Taste of Home (Readers Digest, 2012)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 8 Ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 Teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne
- Cooked spaghetti, or rice (optional)
In a large skillet, sauté the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms in the olive oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place the chicken breasts over the vegetables.
In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, chiles, and seasonings. Pour over the chicken; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the chicken breast reads 170 degrees. Before serving, cut the chicken breasts into slices if desired. Serve with spaghetti or rice if desired.