The onion and curry in this recipe really pop and the thickness of the soup makes it feel like a heavy cream-based luxury — without actually being cream based.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin meat, steamed and skin removed*
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus more as needed
- ½ tablespoon cayenne, plus more for garnish (optional)
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups skim milk
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
In a large pot, add butter, onions, and garlic and stir for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, pumpkin, curry, cayenne, and cumin and cook for 15 minutes.
In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and combine, then transfer to a new pot of similar size. Add the milk to the pot and additional curry to taste.
Serve. If desired, garnish with sour cream, cayenne, and/or basil leaves.