- 1/4 Cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 Cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 Cup cocoa powder
- 2 Teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with oil and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until well combined then transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake until the cakes pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Set aside to let cool then cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar, if you like.