PointsPlus Super Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
Hearty and satisfying, this soup pairs perfectly with a crusty loaf of whole-wheat bread. This soup can be made up to two days ahead; for a thicker consistency, purée all or part of the soup.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 20 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- One 32 ¼-ounce can condensed cream of potato soup, or three 10 ¾-ounce cans
- 4 cups skim milk
- ¾ cups low-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste (optional)
- Nutmeg, freshly grated (optional)
Melt the butter in a large nonstick saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and increase the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Stir in the broccoli and the potato soup. Gradually stir in the milk until blended. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in the cheese until it melts. Add the mustard and cayenne, and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and nutmeg, if desired.