Pickled Strawberries Recipe
After eating a delicious sandwich from No.7 Sub that was topped with pickled strawberries, I was inspired to try my hand at it home. Pickling these sweet berries gives them a tangy, sour-sweet flavor that works well on meat-filled sandwiches. Plus, it's super easy to do and a lot of fun waiting for it to be ready.
- 6-7 strawberries, stems removed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 serrano, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 sprig of mint
- One 16-ounce Mason jar or other jar with a tight-fitting lid
Place the strawberries in the jar.
In a saucepan, add the vinegar, salt, sugar, and serrano. Bring to a boil and then allow to cool to room temperature. Pour over the strawberries, add the peppercorns and mint, and then seal the jar, turning upside once or twice to mix around the ingredients. Place in the refrigerator for 3 days.