- Butter, for the baking dish
- 4 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3-4 tablespoons peach brandy or peach cordial
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
Arrange the peaches in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the 2/3 cup sugar, the lemon zest and juice, and the almond extract.
Bake for 20 minutes.
While the peaches are baking, sift the flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, the baking powder, and salt together into a bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Combine the beaten egg and milk, and mix into the dry ingredients until just combined.
Remove the peaches from the oven and quickly drop the dough by large spoonfuls over the surface. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Return to the oven until the top is firm and golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Whip the cream to soft peaks.* Flavor with the peach brandy to taste.
Serve the cobbler warm, accompanied by the whipped cream.