- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- ½ lime, juiced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teleras, bolillos, or even large French rolls
- Butter, soft
- 2 cups refried beans or one 16-ounce can
- ½ cup shredded cotija cheese or 6 ounces queso fresco, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then pound them with a meat tenderizer until flattened to about ½ inch. Sprinkle on both sides with the lime juice, chile powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Cut the breads in half and butter all of them on the insides. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and put in the bread, butter-sides down, to toast. Turn over and toast on the other sides. Remove from the pan and place butter-sides up on a platter or large cutting board. In the same frying pan, sauté the chicken over high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
While the chicken is cooking, heat the refried beans in a microwave for 1 minute. Stir the beans, then microwave an additional 30 seconds. Spread the beans onto the bottom halves of the bread, layering the cheese onto each of the bean-covered breads. Place 1 piece of chicken onto each of the sandwiches. Top with slices of avocado, spoonfuls of salsa, and generous piles of lettuce. Cut in half and serve.