Nigella Lawson's Husband Files for Divorce Post-Photo Scandal
A month after U.K. tabloid The Sunday Paper published photos showing celebrity chef Nigella Lawson allegedly being choked by her husband, Charles Saatchi, the couple is facing a divorce.
The Daily Mail reported Sunday that 70-year-old Saatchi has filed for divorce after 10 years of marriage to Lawson.
"I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so," Saatchi said in a statement. "I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way."
According to The Daily Mail, Saatchi was disappointed with Lawson after she refused to defend his reputation; Saatchi even claims that after the photos were leaked, Lawson's PR team told him to apologize for the assault. "He flew off the handle and asked his wife: ‘Are you crazy, you know that’s not the truth.’ Nigella said: ‘I think we have no choice.’ The couple then had a furious row in which he told her to ‘pack her bags and go,'" The Daily Mail reports.
After the photos leaked last month, Saatchi voluntarily went to the police while Lawson was spotted going around town without a wedding ring, and reportedly not living at home. Saatchi maintains that he was not hurting Lawson in the photos leaked, claiming that there was no pressure applied. "The row photographed at Scott’s restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention — as indeed she has done in the past," he said.
In the meantime, Lawson has reportedly not spoken to Saatchi since the tiff. Read the full statement over at The Daily Mail.