MyPlate Isn't Working

Staff Writer
After all the initial fuss, most Americans don't follow MyPlate
MyPlate
USDA

MyPlate

Over the summer, the USDA revealed a Michelle Obama-backed MyPlate, tossing out the nearly 20-year-old Food Pyramid. Then, Harvard went and recreated the MyPlate with some healthier substitutions.

But it seems like all these guidelines are for nothing; a new NPD study found that average Americans follow MyPlate only 2 percent of the time. That's one week out of a year. The remaining 98 percent of meals either lack in dairy or in veggies (because who eats broccoli for breakfast?)

Granted, it's only been a half a year since MyPlate came out, and sources say that the guidelines may be more effective as time goes on. In the meantime, let's try to find a way to get vegetables into breakfast.

The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.