- 8 slices American-style sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella di bufala, cut into four 4-by-3-inch chunks
- 7 eggs, 3 of them separated
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Top each of 4 slices of bread with a piece of mozzarella. Cover with the 4 remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches. Trim the bread to within ¼ inch of the cheese.
In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the 4 whole eggs and 3 yolks together. (Reserve the whites for a healthy omelet.) Add the milk, thyme, and salt and whisk well. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture 1 by 1 to coat.
In a large non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and wait until it’s smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook until the sizzling subsides. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook slowly until golden brown on the first side, about 2 minutes. Flip each sandwich and cook on the other side for 2 more minutes. Remove the sandwiches and set aside in a warm oven. Repeat the process with the remaining oil, butter, and sandwiches. Serve immediately.