Amid death reports from the FDA and charges of undisclosed caffeine in energy drinks, Monster Beverage defended its energy drinks in a lawsuit that links the drinks to the death of a 14-year-old girl.
In its defense, The New York Times reports, Monster Beverage argued there was no "medical or scientific evidence" to link the death of Anais Fournier, of Maryland, to its energy drinks. Fournier is said to have consumed two 24-ounce Monster Energy Drinks in the 24 hours before her death; however, a team of doctors reviewed her medical records and concluded that caffeine toxicity was not the cause of her death. Rather, they believed she died of natural causes due to a heart condition — and there was no blood test to confirm that she died of caffeine toxicity. Said Dr. Michael H. Forman of the Tri-City Emergency Medical Group in San Diego, Calif., "She had a diseased heart... It had nothing to do with a modest amount of caffeine she consumed. That amount of caffeine would be safe for anybody."
The family of Fournier sued Monster Beverages for negligible and wrongful death in October; depositions for the case won't happen until the spring.