- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker or Maria cookie crumbs
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter plus 7 tablespoons, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or heavy cream
- 1 disc Mexican chocolate or 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
Process the cookie crumbs, 7 tablespoons melted butter, and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar in a food processor until the crumbs are moist. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish. Cover and freeze while preparing the filling (or for up to 1 week).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the 12 tablespoons butter, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, and the corn syrup in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the pecans and crema. Boil until the mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir until melted and smooth.
Pour the hot filling into the crust. Using a spoon, evenly distribute the nuts. Bake until the filling bubbles all over, about 15 minutes. Transfer the pie to a rack and cool completely before serving.