Whether it's health or taste you're after, it doesn't get any better than this — bulgur, beans, tomatoes, pine nuts, and olive oil team up in this vegetarian main dish salad. CW's food editor, Wendy Stenman, created this just for The Healthy Kitchen and shared it with Taste of Home.
- 3 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 Cup uncooked bulgar
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 Cup chopped cucumber
- 8 green onions, sliced
- One 4-ounce package crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 Cup pine nuts, toasted
In a large saucepan, bring the broth and bulgur to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and the broth is almost absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until the broth is absorbed.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper. In a large serving bowl, combine the bulgur, beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and onions. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts to garnish.