- 1/2 Pound frozen, uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Teaspoon dark toasted sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 green onions, trimmed and minced
- 1/4 Cup water chestnuts, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 loaf of thin white bread
- Black sesame seeds
- Peanut oil, for frying
Add the shrimp, egg, sesame oil, and salt to a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. Add the butter and pulse until blended, but small chunks of butter are still present. Add green onions, water chestnuts, and ginger, and pule once or twice until combined.
Cut the bread slices into triangles. Spread a layer of shrimp mixture (about 1/4 inch thick) on each slice of bread.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Heat a few inches of oil in a medium pan to 350 degrees.
Fry the shrimp toasts mousse-side down for a minute or more until golden then flip to fry the other side for another minute.
Remove from oil and drain on a cooling rack or paper towels. Serve hot. Makes about 2 dozen toasts.