- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for cooking beans
- 4 pounds green beans, preferably blue lake
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- One 2-inch piece of bacon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried red chile pepper
- 4 quarts Chicken stock
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Blanch the green beans for 10 minutes. Remove from the pot and strain.
In a separate large pot, heat ½ cup of the olive oil over medium heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the onion, garlic, bacon, bay leaf, and chile pepper. Cook just until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the green beans, salt, pepper, and enough chicken stock to cover. Add the vinegar and the remaining olive oil. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover with a lid and let cook for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, strain any excess liquid, and serve immediately.