Loaded (Lighter) Nachos
To make this meatless, simply omit the turkey and add another can of beans (try black beans to switch it up a bit). If you’re making these for a big crowd, serve the nachos with fixings in separate bowls, so that guests can top their nachos to their liking.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced finely – divided
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes with chilis
- 8 Ounces corn tortilla chips (preferably lightly salted or unsalted)
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 Cup pickled jalapeño slices
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high. Saute the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
Add the ground turkey, breaking it into crumbles, and brown. Stir in the beans, cumin, cayenne and paprika. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a large shallow casserole dish (preferably one that doubles as a serving dish), create an even layer of tortilla chips. Top with the turkey-bean mixture, then with the cheese, olives and jalapeno. Add another layer of chips, then repeat with the turkey, cheese, etc.
Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve with guacamole, pico de gallo and other toppings.