Kale Waldorf Salad
This variation on the classic Waldorf salad uses kale instead of lettuce and adds apple and walnuts to the dressing for a creamy consistency without using the typical mayonnaise base.
- 4 Cups packed, finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
- 1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, chopped, divided
- 1 Cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons water, more if needed
- 1 Tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 Teaspoon sea salt
Place kale in a large bowl. Add 1/2 the apple to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 1/4 cup raisins. Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar, and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin. Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.