What's a hot dog without relish? This recipe makes it easy for you to create the summertime favorite's partner in crime at home.
- 3/4 Pounds pickled cucumbers (about 4), washed and finely diced
- 1/2 Cup minced green cabbage
- 1/4 Cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 4 Teaspoons kosher or pickling salt
- 3/4 Cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 Teaspoon yellow mustard seed
- 1/2 Teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 Teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Place the cucumbers, cabbage, onion, and red bell pepper in a medium-sized nonreactive mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt, stir well. Let stand for 1 hour.
Drain the mixture in a colander, rinse under cold water, and drain again, pressing out any excess moisture.
In a medium-sized nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, prepared mustard, dry mustard, mustard seed, celery seed, paprika, turmeric, and cornstarch. Whisk until fully blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly.
Add the cucumber mixture, and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the relish has finished cooking, transfer it into a sterilized pint jar and refrigerate until cool, then cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.