Hot Bols Genever Punch Recipe
Punch bowls may be all the rage in today's cocktail culture, but they've been a hit of the holiday bar for ages. Try this warm one, made with genever, a Dutch spirit similar to gin, for something a little different this season.
Adapted from Punch: The Delights and Dangers of the Flowing Bowl by David Wondrich.
For the punch:
- Peel of 6 lemons, cut 1/2-inch thick with a vegetable peeler
- 1 large lemon, sliced into thin wheels and seeded
- 1 cup sugar, preferably Demerara or Turbinado
- 1 750 mililiter bottle of Bols Genever
- 1 teaspoon spice mix
- 1 quart water
For the spice mix:
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground cloves
In a heatproof bowl, muddle the lemon peels and the sugar together and let sit for at least 90 minutes.
Then muddle again and add 1 cup of boiling water, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Fish out or strain the lemon peels.
Add the genever and stir.
To serve, transfer into a crock-pot or heated earthenware jug (to heat jug, rinse with boiling water), add 24 ounces of boiling water, lemon slices, and spice mix. Ladle into serving cups.