- 14 Ounces firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 3/4 Tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 Ounce dried, sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 Cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoons white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced green onion tops
Drain tofu, and place on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
Bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms; let stand 30 minutes. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine ¼ cup water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, and bamboo shoots into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Drizzle egg into broth mixture (do not stir). Place pan over low heat; cook 1 minute. Stir soup gently to combine. Sprinkle with onions.