This recipe is a great play on the traditional peanut butter sandwich that most children love and enjoy. This particular grilled cheese elevates the original by adding banana and Monterey Jack cheese to create an unexpected flavor combination that creates a new experience for children. (pg 104)
- 2 –4 tablespoons melted sweet butter, for grilling
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Teaspoons honey roasted peanut butter (or enough to cover bread)
- 11 ⁄2–2 slices Monterey Jack
- 1 ⁄3 banana, sliced
- 1 ⁄8 cup roasted, salted cashews, hand-cracked
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons currant jam
Brush the melted butter on the outside of the 2 slices of sourdough bread. In an unheated sauté pan, place 1 slice of bread butter side down. Spread honey roasted peanut butter on bread, followed by1 slice of Monterey Jack cheese, banana slices, and cashews. Spread currant jam on other slice of bread, non- butter side, and place on top, butter side up. Turn burner to medium heat.
Let sandwich cook for 3–5 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown.
Cut on the diagonal and serve warm.