The Spanish chilled soup, gazpacho, epitomizes the glory of the summer garden bounty. Honey, lime, and fresh ginger infuse this version with cool, refreshing character.
See all tomato recipes.
- 3 large ripe red tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut up
- 2 medium cucumbers, seeded and cut up
- 2 medium orange sweet peppers, seeded and cut up
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and cut up
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Sea salt (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges and scallions (optional)
In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, chile pepper, and garlic. Place half the tomato mixture in a food processor; process with several on/off turns to large chunks. Repeat with remaining tomato mixture. Return all of the mixture to the food processor. Add lime juice, honey, cilantro, ginger, and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Cover and process with several on/off turns until the mixture is just a little chunky. If desired, season to taste with additional sea salt.
To serve, place 2-3 ice cubes in each of 4 shallow bowls or glasses; ladle soup over ice. If desired, serve with lime wedges and scallions.