- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch escarole (about 1/2 pound), stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 Pound dried bowtie (farfalle) pasta
- 1 3-inch Parmigiano-Reggiano rind, plus grated Parmigiano Reggiano for garnish
- 1/4 Pound baby spinach
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid is released and absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Add carrots and 8 cups water and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Stir in chard, escarole, pasta and Parmigiano-Reggiano rind. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until broth is flavorful and greens and pasta are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.
Remove and discard bay leaf and cheese rind from soup then ladle into bowls, garnish with grated cheese and serve.