You can watch Nathan Lippy whip up these tacos starting September 5th on HUNGRY.
- 1 whole red snapper, scaled and gutted
- 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- 12 thyme sprigs
- Juice of 3 limes
- 3 Tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 Tablespoons silver tequila
- 3 Cups julienned jicama
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 granny smith apple, quartered and sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 small corn tortillas
Pre-grease and pre-heat grill to medium-high. Create two heat zones on the grill, direct and indirect.
Use a sharp knife to score the skin of the fish 3-4 times per side. Scoring the skin will help the fish cook evenly. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil inside the fish cavity and season generously with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with lemon slices and thyme sprigs. Thread a metal skewer around the cavity to keep it closed. Rub 2 tablespoons of olive oil around the outside of the fish and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill the fish over indirect heat with the lid closed, about 10-12 minutes per side. Remove the skin from the cooked fish and carefully scrape the meat off the bones. Keep warm.
In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, tequila, and remaining olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once the dressing is emulsified, add in the remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
Warm tortillas on the grill for a minute. Take a warmed tortilla and fill with a few tablespoons of fish, top with jicama slaw.