I was inspired to make this grilled calamari with anchovy and capers after my recent trip to Rome. My husband and I enjoyed anchovy and capers from Tuscany to Rome and since we love fish I decided to create this perfect dish. We enjoyed with company as a primi and all shared from the plate. Of course, you can dip fresh bread in the sauce.
I used San Marzano tomatoes from my favorite Italian store
Ingredients in Hartford, CT at D&D Market and the calamari came from my favorite fish market in Wethersfield, CT at City Fish, Wethersfield, CT.
For this recipe and other entertaining tips from Cindy's Table, click here.
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Simply Organic red pepper flakes
- 1 Pound squid, cleaned bodies and tentacles
- 1 Teaspoon dried Simply Organic thyme
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes, 24 ounces
- 1 can Roland Food anchovies, cut into thirds
- 1 Teaspoon dried Simply Organic oregano
- 1/4 Cup drained capers, patted dry
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic and stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Take the squid and cut into rings. Add squid and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, Roland Food anchovies, capers, Simply Organic oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes. Lower to medium heat for 5 minutes. Enjoy.