- 3 Cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1/4 Cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1/3 Cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (don't try to be cheap here and use waxed paper, you'll be sorry... trust me!).
In a large mixing bowl, mix the oatmeal, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Add the pine nuts and pumpkin seeds, if using.
In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, add the butter and maple syrup. Heat until the butter is melted. Pour the mixture over the oat mix, toss to combine. Spread evenly on the baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Allow the granola to cool. When it's cool, add whatever dried fruit you'd like. I usually add more coconut, chopped dried cherries, dried cranberries, raisins, currents, and chopped dried apricots. Mix well, store in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.