*Read How to Dress Up Your Holiday Gingebread Man for decorating ideas.
Special thanks to Emily Jacobs of Sage Recipes for helping us test this recipe.
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup molasses
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 Teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon all-spice
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
In a stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incporated, and then add the molasses and vanilla extract. Sift together the dry ingredients in a bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture until evenly combined and a dough forms.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until firm. Divide the dough into halves and roll out each half at a time onto a floured work surface. Roll until the dough is ⅛-inch thick and cut out the gingerbread men. Lay them out on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Repeat steps with the dough scraps and the other half of dough.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the edges are browned. Decorate the cookies using icing, sprinkles, and other candies.*