*Note: Frozen works as well, but the texture will be different.
- 2 Tablespoons neutral cooking oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 Pounds fresh cranberries*
- 1 -2 ounces ginger, peeled with a spoon and chopped very finely
- 3/4 Cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Pinch of sea salt
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cranberries and quickly pan-roast them, stirring frequently until they start to give off liquid and break down. Add the ginger, brown sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and salt, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, stirring. If it dries out too much and starts to stick, add a small amount of water and continue cooking. It should be a thick purée with some of the cranberries still intact.