- 1 ½ pounds baby red potatoes, blanched, rinsed and quartered
- 5 strips thick-cut bacon cut into lardons
- ¼ cup tarragon or cider vinegar
- 5 small shallots peeled and thinly chopped
- 5 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh tarragon or 3 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 5 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Blanch the potatoes in a medium saucepan until easily pierced with a knife, being careful not to overcook. Drain them and place them back in the saucepan. Leave the saucepan under slowly running cold water until the potatoes are cool.
Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the bacon strips perpendicularly into lardons ¼-inch thick and place them in a small stainless steel skillet. Cook the bacon lardons in the preheated oven for 10–12 minutes, stirring frequently. This will render the bacon nicely and add good color without making it crispy. When brown, remove the bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Now drain the potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch slices. Place them in a large stainless steel bowl and add the vinegar, tossing to coat the potatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well to combine. Refrigerate until needed. Be sure to let the potato salad come back to room temperature and mix well before serving because the olive oil will settle to the bottom.