What Happens If You Eat a Tub of Play-Doh?

Editor
You won’t die, but you’re not going to have a good time
Play-Doh

Photo Modified: Flickr/ Dennis Brekke/ CC4.0

Play-Doh contains a lot of chemicals, but it's still supposedly non-toxic.

Just about every toddler has done it, including us when we were toddlers: eaten some Play-Doh. Toddlers put just about everything they come across into their mouths, so it only makes sense that this fun and malleable toy would pique their curiosity. We know that a little bit won’t hurt us (because we’d all be in trouble if that was the case), but what if we were to eat a whole tub of the stuff?

Unfortunately, the exact recipe for Play-Doh is a trade secret, but we know that it’s mostly made up of wheat flour, salt, and water thanks to the Play-Doh website. A 2004 patent also reveals that it contains what’s called a retrogradation inhibitor, mineral oil, a surfactant, preservatives, a hardener, a humectant, fragrance, coloring, a petroleum additive for a smooth feel, and borax, which prevents mold. That said, however, producer Hasbro maintains that the product is non-toxic, and that the only real danger in Play-Doh is to pets or those especially sensitive to sodium, from the high salt content.

So if you have medical issues that prevent you from high sodium intake, you probably don’t want to eat a whole bunch of Play-Doh in one sitting. It’s also not exactly food, as the above list of chemicals might reveal, so we wouldn’t advise eating any of it.

If you decide to choke down a whole tub of Play-Doh, odds are against anything happening to you, except for maybe a stomachache. But you might also get some funny looks.

Related Links
10 Most Dangerous Things in Your KitchenMost Dangerous Food Allergies8 Most Dangerous Food Allergies at a Kid's PartyThese 9 Wild Foods Can Kill YouCan Spicy Food Kill You?