The Seaport District’s Clinton Hall, a modernized gastropub that kicked off summer when it opened back in June, has lured in more crowds than we’ve seen down here in years, and honestly, possibly ever, in that particular plot of historic and charming real estate.
Known for its gourmet spin on traditional beer hall cuisine, the menu offers a selection of succulent all-natural bratwurst and sausages, including the famous “doughnut grilled cheese,” a warm glazed doughnut engulfed with mozzarella cheese and suspended over a steaming bowl of tomato soup, and fried homemade doughnut holes served with an assortment of three injectable sauces.
Clinton Hall currently has two other locations, another in Lower Manhattan over on 90 Washington Street and one up in the Bronx at 601 East 189th Street (rumor has it we can expect a fourth opening this fall), but this location is our favorite because it boasts a few awesome extras, like giant Jenga and connect four games, pinball machines, and foosball.
It’s kind of hard to pick the Top 5 burgers from a list that would take the most decisive carnivores a minute to decide but based on creativity, diversity, and taste, we were able to narrow it down and present, to you, our best recommendations.
1. The Bratwurst Burger: bratwurst, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and spicy mustard on a pretzel bun
2. The Truffle Shuffle: beef burger with truffle cheese, roasted wild mushroom, black truffle aioli, and rocket arugula
3. Ahi Tuna Burger Bahn Mi: Sushi grade tuna with scallion mayo andshaved hot house cucumber bahn mi slaw
4. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon: 50/50 bacon-beef burger with Vermont cheddar, topped with Nueske and Applewood-smoked bacon and spicy grain mustard
5. Wild Wild West Burger: beef burger with Pepper Jack cheese, crispy onions, bacon and BBQ sauce
Honorable mentions: Fondue Burger, whose bun is filled with a pool of molten cheese and fries; the Frito Burger: Frito corn chips, Vermont cheddar, black bean spread and special sauce; and the Parmesan Crusted Burger: crispy Parmesan cheese on sourdough bread, lettuce, tomato, and pepper.
In case that’s not enough fun for you, try your hand at the Clinton Hall Burger Challenge: three beef patties, three slices of American cheese, two whole wheat buns, Applewood-smoked bacon, onion rings, French fries slathered in Clinton Hall’s signature sauce and a pint of beer.
Oh—the challenge? Eat it all in 25 minutes or less and hey, you ate for free! It’ll leave you just enough time to exclaim, “Winner, winner burger dinner!” before you submit to the throes of your #CheesyCarbComa.