Doctors Remove Octopus from Choking Toddler’s Throat in Child Abuse Case

KAKE

Doctors Remove Octopus from Choking Toddler’s Throat in Child Abuse Case

Doctors removed a two-inch baby octopus that was lodged in the toddler’s throat, though it is not clear how

A two-year-old Kansas boy is recovering after doctors acted quickly to remove a small octopus that had become lodged in his throat.

According to police, the boy’s mother came home from work to find her boyfriend, 36-year-old Matthew Gallagher, attempting CPR on the toddler.

The child was rushed to the hospital, where doctors were able to extract a two-inch baby octopus, believed to have been intended for sushi.

The boy was also observed to have multiple injuries to his face. Police arrested Gallagher on suspicions of child abuse, but has since been released, according to KAKE, an ABC affiliate.

The child’s condition has reportedly improved since he was admitted.

In Korea, live octopus is a popular delicacy as well as a choking hazard. The suction cups on the legs of an octopus can latch onto a diner’s throat and cause choking, even when cut into small pieces. To avoid a dangerous dining experience, it’s recommended that you chew carefully before swallowing.

Related Links
What Are the Most Dangerous Foods on Earth?Young Boy with Autism Saves Friend From Choking on Apple Thanks to ‘SpongeBob’José Andrés Saves Life of Choking ManToddler Who Choked on Grape at Pizza Hut Has Died New Year’s Snack Kills Nine in Japan