5 Holiday Foods That Might Kill Your Pets

Dangers to pets lurk around every corner during the Holidays
King Charles Spaniel


They may give you puppy dog eyes, but you still shouldn't feed your pets these foods.

It may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it’s also the most dangerous time of the year to be a house pet. Decorations that may look harmless can wreak havoc on your pets: tinsel can cause major damage to their intestinal tract, mistletoe and holly berries can cause gastrointestinal issues, and that hot scented oil can cause chemical burns and breathing problems. There are also some holiday foods that can spell trouble for your pet as well. Here are five.

Alcoholic drinks, desserts that contain alcohol, and unbaked dough (which becomes mildly alcoholic as it ferments) should all be kept away from pets. Any alcohol intake can result in alcohol poisoning, disorientation, vomiting, seizures, or respiratory failure.

Fruitcake has a terrible reputation, and the fact that it can kill your pet is another reason to avoid it. Grapes, raisins, and currants can cause kidney failure in dogs.

Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and heart arrhythmia if consumed by dogs and cats.

If you’re planning on chewing some gum to freshen your breath after a holiday meal, don’t leave it sitting out. If consumed by dogs, xylitol (a popular sweetener in sugar-free gums) can cause a drop in blood sugar and liver failure.


Meat Scraps
Tossing your dog the fat and gristle off of your plate isn’t a good idea. The excess of fat can cause pancreatitis, which leads to vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.