For an easy side dish that's a great match for this cheesy, baked eggplant Parmesan, sauté broccoli rabe in a bit of olive oil with some chopped garlic and red pepper flakes, then finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 1/2 Cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 25-ounce jar pasta sauce
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan
Preheat the oven with a baking sheet inside to 375 degrees.
Coat the eggplant slices with the egg, then bread with panko crumbs. Spread the oil on the hot baking sheet and place the eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for 10 more minutes.
Increase the oven temperature to 475 degrees.
In an 8-by-10-inch ovenproof dish, layer the pasta sauce, then the eggplant, and top with the cheeses. Repeat, finishing with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden in spots, about 15 minutes.