Cilantro-Chile Spiked Cod Burgers
When you think of cod, you probably don’t think about cod burgers but this recipe will change your mind. Cilantro and Cajun seasoning combine for a yummy twist on traditional cod.
Recipe courtesy of Liz Neumark, author of Sylvia's Table and founder of Great Performances, catering company in New York City
- 1 1/2 Pound cod, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 Cups Panko crumbs
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 Teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 Cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
Place the cod, panko, cilantro, jalapenos, Cajun seasoning, mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl .
Using your hands, mix gently until the ingredients are evenly incorporated .
Place the cornmeal in a shallow dish.
Divide the cod mixture evenly into 6 balls and form patties.
Dredge the patties in the cornmeal .
Set cast-iron skillet over medium high heat and add oil and butter; when they are hot but not smoking place the patties into the pan .
Cook until well seared on both sides, approximately 4-5 minutes each side .
Toast the rolls, serve the avocado and sour cream as sides.