- ½ medium white onion, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1-2 serranos or 1 small jalapeño, to taste, stemmed, seeded (if you wish), and finely chopped
- 12 ounces (about 2 medium-small round or 4-5 plum) red-ripe tomatoes, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons loosely packed, chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
Scoop the onion into a strainer, rinse under cold tap water, shake off the excess and transfer to a medium bowl. Add enough serranos to your liking, as well as the tomatoes, cilantro, and lime. Stir well, taste and season with salt, usually about ½ teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.